Alsey Quadrangle



Mining began in Scott County before 1853, when Frost’s mine already had a reputation as the best blacksmith coal in the area. Mr. Frost separated the coal from the upper part of the seam, which had less pyrite. The mine was later acquired by Mr. Moore, who operated the mine in 1868. The location of the mine is not known, other than being along Little Sandy Creek.

The Colchester Coal was mined here, and the coal was generally about 2.5 feet thick. Most of the mines were close to the surface and accessed through drifts, slopes, or shallow shafts. Where the coal was deeper, such as in plains areas between streams, the required depth of the shaft made the coal uneconomical to mine.

Map and Directory PDF Download

Coal Mines In Illinois Alsey Quadrangle

Mines that Appear on the Alsey Quadrangle

Unlocated Mines

Scott County

Media in category "Alsey Quadrangle"

The following 27 files are in this category, out of 27 total.