Mining in the Brighton Quadrangle
The earliest mining in the Brighton Quadrangle is not known, although mines were operating by 1868, such as the Langley Mine in SW 10-T7N-R10W (included with mine index 2720, Lyle Mine). Over a dozen mined areas were noted on the 1872 Atlas of Jersey County. All the known mines in the area operated as local mines, removing a few tons (usually less than 3,000 tons) and operating generally less than 5 years. The Bell Mine (mine index 2524) is thought to have operated from 1900 to 1927, mining as much as 10 acres, but it is possible that a new drift entry was developed every few years, and the acreage may not be contiguous.