Mining in the Geneso Quadrangle
The earliest known mining in the Geneseo Quadrangle took place before 1882. Maynard’s shaft was along the coal outcrop on the west side of Geneseo. Allen’s 60-foot deep shaft, abandoned before 1882, was about 1.5 miles northwest of Geneseo. The location descriptions are too vague, and the distances too approximate to include those two mines on the accompanying map. Several other mines are known to have operated between 1879 and 1939 whose locations are unknown (see the unlocated mines at the back of this report). The unlocated mines would have excavated between 3 and 6 acres.