Mining in the Matherville Quadrangle
According to A. H. Worthen, mines were active in sections 16, 20, and 21 of T15N-R1W near the town of Cable. The locations were not specific and may be represented on the accompanying map by mines on the slopes adjacent to Camp Creek and its tributaries. Mining continued in this area until 1925.
According to the 1910 Coal Report (p. 238), the town of Matherville was established as a mining town for the Coal Valley Mining Company (mine index 18) and Alden No. 7 Mine (mine index 19). Mining ceased in this vicinity in 1943.