Mining in the McLeansboro Quadrangle
Mining in the McLeansboro Quadrangle began in small mines that mined the Womac Coal, a thin seam of coal that was near the surface in this area. Two of these mines reported production in the late 1800s. Another small mine, according to History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton Franklin & Williamson Counties, dug coal on Hogg Prairie to supply blacksmiths. This likely took place circa 1850-1860. The only large-scale mining to have taken place in the McLeansboro Quadrangle began in 1979, when Inland Steel Coal Company opened its No. 2 Mine (mine index 938). This mine worked the Springfield Coal seam at a depth of 929 feet. In 1986, the mine became known as the Consolidation Coal Company, Wheeler Creek Mine. This name persisted until the closing of the mine in 1988, which ended all mining in the McLeansboro Quadrangle.