Mining in the Norris City Quadrangle
Mining in the Norris City Quadrangle began in 1904, when the shaft north of town began production. The Herrin Coal was mined at a depth of 640 feet. This depth may have been the major factor that kept other operators from mining in the area, when thicker coal was readily available at less depth. The mine closed in November 1940, with only 18 days of production that year.
A small area of mining was noted by geologists in the field in 1932. The mining was described as a “local coal digging” in a ravine. The amount of coal taken was likely very low, a very few tons, possibly to heat one or a few houses during the Depression. The seam mined is unknown.