Mining in the Opdyke Quadrangle
Mining began in the Opdyke Quadrangle before 1868 with shallow surface mines. The Opdyke Coal was worked, and was rarely as thick as 3 feet and mined when it was as thin as 9 inches. The mines were all local, with low production. A. H. Worthen and H. Engelmann reported that the coal supplied local blacksmiths in 1868. The last mine closed in 1947 when the Shelton Mine (mine index 2514) ceased operation.