Mining in the Prairietown Quadrangle
The first coal mine in the Prairietown Quadrangle opened in 1899 and closed in 1940. Shortly after that, in 1944, the last operating mine in this area closed. All of the mines in this quadrangle were small, and, other than the Klondike Mine that operated for only a few years, produced coal for local trade. The seam mined was the Herrin Coal, which was fairly deep over most of the quadrangle, generally over 100 feet.