Mining in the Walsh Quadrangle
According to Randolph County Notes, mining began in the Walsh Quadrangle around 1840. The Herrin Coal was very shallow near the subcrop, and west and north of the Herrin subcrop, another coal was very near the surface. Coal could be obtained by scraping off the thin layer of soil in some places or by drift entrances to mines along streams. Some of the small mines are known to have had bad roof conditions, most likely as a result of their shallow depth. Many small mines operated in 9-T5S-R6W, most of which were removed from the landscape by the large machinery of the Burning Star No. 3 Mine (mine index 0930) after 1966. Burning Star No. 3 Mine was a large surface mine that worked both the Herrin and Springfield Coals over several miles.