Mining in the Blyton Quadrangle
The earliest known coal mining in the Blyton Quadrangle was an obscure, un-named mine in the southwestern part of the quadrangle near Marietta, which was reputed to have operated in 1859. The type, ownership, and years of operation are unknown. As several coals crop out in the numerous hollow along the Spoon River and its tributaries, it is extremely likely that several other small mines worked coal in various places in this vicinity.
The Rock Island and Colchester Coals were the most-utilized seams in this area, but there are likely some rarely-mined coals that were worked in the Blyton Quadrangle. In most cases, they would have been discontinuous, lenticular deposits, some above and some below the Rock Island Coal.