Mining in the Oakwood Quadrangle
Mining in this quadrangle began about 1890 with the Missionfield Mine (mine index 3838) and the Fairmount Mine (mine index 3672) and continued through each decade with various mines until ending in 1984, when the Illinois & West Virginia Coal Company closed its operations on the east side of the quadrangle (mine index 1006).
The Danville seam was the only coal mined here, ranging from 4.5 to 6 feet thick. The roof was often poor, with a massive sandy gray shale that came down easily. Horsebacks and rolls were present, but did not appear to greatly hinder mining. The mines on the east side of the quadrangle were shallow and sometimes had water problems, with seepage through joints and cracks in the shale from the Quaternary deposits above.
Note that many of the mines are located within a column of irregular sections. The locations given in this directory follow the convention of orienting the quarter-sections originating at the southeast corner of the section (see page 6, under ‘Shaft, slope, drift or tipple locations’)
Map and Directory PDF Download
Mines that Appear on the Oakwood Quadrangle
Pages in category "Oakwood Quadrangle"
The following 58 pages are in this category, out of 58 total.
Media in category "Oakwood Quadrangle"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- M1830024 coalreport1885 p71.pdf 1,652 × 1,293; 924 KB
- M1830099 coalreport1889 p36.pdf 1,647 × 1,304; 923 KB
- M1830121 coalreport1889 p34.pdf 1,639 × 1,291; 915 KB
- M1830121 coalreport1891 p102.pdf 793 × 1,275, 2 pages; 2.19 MB
- M3830 no7thick.jpg 2,028 × 2,711; 799 KB
- M3838 minenotes.pdf 737 × 1,193, 4 pages; 1.13 MB
- M3848 minenotes.pdf 737 × 1,193, 4 pages; 1.15 MB