Mining in the Pomona Quadrangle
Mining in this quadrangle occurred mainly in the northernmost areas. Only two shipping mines are known to have operated in this quadrangle, both in the Murphysboro Coal. The first mine, St. Louis Ore & Steel Company (mine index 2490) closed in 1887, and the other mine, Templeton Coal Company (mine index 0604) ended operations in 1943. Two other small drift mines were located by ISGS field geologists in the 1920s. The coal seam mined in these small drift mines may be an un-named seam in the middle of the Tradewater Formation, but it has been called the Tarter Coal to locate the seam in the stratigraphic section.