Mining in the Assumption Quadrangle
Two mines operated in the Assumption Quadrangle. In the southern part, the Assumption Mine (mine index 21) worked coal that may have been two benches of the same coal. The interval between the two layers varied from 2 to 25 feet. In parts of the mine, both layers were mined, and in other parts only one layer was mined. Both layers were worked on the longwall system.
The Moweaqua Mine (mine index 217) operated from 1892 to 1935. The Springfield Coal was mined, at over 600 feet deep. On December 24, 1932, the barometric pressure dropped. The drop was sufficient to drive methane gas out of the old workings. Seals had been weakened imperceptibly by normal degradation of the roof in abandoned rooms, and nodules that may have fallen against the seals. Between the time when the certified Mine Examiner checked the mine and when the miners arrived at the workplace, the barometric low passed through, driving methane gas from the abandoned workings into the active portion of the mine. Some gas had traveled along the entries, with a great pocket collected further back. When the men stood up, with their open-flame lamps, the gas exploded and acted as a fuse leading the flame back to the large pocket of methane, resulting in a terrible explosion. Those that survived the explosion were unable to survive the bad air that resulted. A large roof fall, over 800 feet long in one direction and 1500 feet long in another direction, blocked access and escape from the carbon monoxide. The roof fall may have prevented the further explosion of coal dust by dispersing rock dust from the shale roof, according to the state mine inspectors who investigated the explosion and directed rescue efforts. The disaster killed 54 men.
Map and Directory PDF Download
Mines that Appear on the Assumption Quadrangle
Pages in category "Assumption Quadrangle"
The following 2 pages are in this category, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Assumption Quadrangle"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- M0021 coalreport1888 p417.pdf 714 × 1,200; 465 KB
- M0021 coalreport1889 p54.pdf 731 × 1,181; 419 KB
- M0021 coalreport1912 p271.pdf 787 × 1,241; 390 KB
- M0021 coalreport1928 p138.pdf 656 × 979, 2 pages; 92 KB
- M0021 fieldnotes.pdf 752 × 1,195; 342 KB
- M0021 IL 634.jpg 2,403 × 3,390; 1.72 MB
- M0021 minenotes.pdf 745 × 1,189, 26 pages; 5.49 MB
- M0021.jpg 3,390 × 2,333; 1.47 MB
- M0217 coalreport1932 disaster.pdf 1,672 × 1,229, 6 pages; 14.92 MB
- M0217 minenotes.pdf 727 × 1,160, 17 pages; 3.15 MB
- M0217.jpg 3,500 × 3,124; 2.52 MB