Mining in the Steeleville Quadrangle
Mining began near Sparta (16-T5S-R6W) about 1840, with the opening of the Ritchey Mine, which was later known as the Rozier Miner. The Herrin Coal was 6 feet thick, with a 4 feet thick limestone making the roof. John B. Wilson opened his mine in 1857 in 17-T5S-R6W, and later also operated the Rozier Mine.
The Herrin Coal was mined in the northern and eastern parts of the quadrangle. Where the Herrin was eroded away, the Springfield and Colchester Coals were mined. Most of the coal was accessed through underground mines. The surface mining that took place here expanded from adjacent quadrangles where conditions were more suitable.
Map and Directory PDF Download
Mines that Appear on the Steeleville Quadrangle
Pages in category "Steeleville Quadrangle"
The following 44 pages are in this category, out of 44 total.