La Salle Quadrangle


Mining in the La Salle Quadrangle

The earliest known mining in the county was Dixwell Lathrop’s mine near the (later abandoned) town of Rockwell, east of La Salle in 1839 (Haeger, 1983). The precise location of the mine is not known (and is not shown on the accompanying map). The mine did not operate long, and was probably quite small, since the town only had 26 inhabitants in 1840, after illness had devastated the community and most of the remaining population fled the area.

The first large commercial coal mine opened in the county was the La Salle Shaft (mine index 3), which hoisted its first coal in June of 1856, quickly followed by the Kentucky Shaft (mine index 5660), which first hoisted coal in October 1856. Mining may have occurred in three seams: the Danville Coal was called the First Vein, the Herrin Coal was called the Second Vein, and the Colchester Coal was called the Third Vein. No maps have been found depicting mining in the First Vein, but mining surely took place in the most accessible coal. The Danville Coal is over 3.5 feet thick under La Salle and between 2.3 and 3.5 feet thick under Peru. Few maps have survived of mining in the Herrin Coal, and more mining probably took place in this seam than is shown on the accompanying maps.

Most of the surviving company maps are of coal mines in the Colchester Coal, which was mined by the longwall method. The Union Mine (mine index 755) operated until 1946 for a total of 75 years and the Illinois Zinc No. 3 Mine (mine index 358) operated until 1949 for a total of 67 years.

Map and Directory PDF Download

Coal Mines In Illinois La Salle Quadrangle

Mines that Appear on the La Salle Quadrangle

Unlocated Mines

La Salle County

Pages in category "La Salle Quadrangle"

The following 52 pages are in this category, out of 52 total.

Media in category "La Salle Quadrangle"

The following 41 files are in this category, out of 41 total.