Mining in the Elkville Quadrangle
Two structural features impact the mining of the Herrin Coal in the Elkville Quadrangle: the Dowell Fault Zone and the Vergennes Anticline. The Dowell Fault Zone is most readily seen in the Kathleen Mine (mine index 183), where the eastern portion of the mine is entirely separated from the western portion. This series of high-angle normal faults is on the east-dipping limb of the Du Quoin Monocline, and the western side is downthrown. The maximum displacement is reported to be 40 feet. The Vergennes Anticline extends in the Elkville Quadrangle from the west (Vergennes Quadrangle), and strikes west-northwest, parallel to the Cottage Grove Fault System. The Vergennes Anticline location is south and southwest of the Kathleen Mine.
Most of the mines produced from the Herrin Coal. In many mines, the roof was a gray sandy shale that came down easily. Some of the mines had areas of black shale roof. The coal was thick, up to 10 feet, and generally averaging over 6 feet thick. Pyrite was a common impurity.
The Springfield Coal was mined just north of Elkville, in surface pits. None of these mines were extensive.
Map and Directory PDF Download
Mines that Appear on the Elkville Quadrangle
Pages in category "Elkville Quadrangle"
The following 40 pages are in this category, out of 40 total.
Media in category "Elkville Quadrangle"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- M-963 Majestic Mine-Duquoin sag quarter mile long fence shows sag of about 2ft.jpg 4,366 × 2,554; 1.28 MB
- M-965 Paradise Mine E of Duquoin NW of shaft 800ft across 3ft deep some wtr.jpg 4,344 × 2,539; 1.21 MB
- M-966 sink over two rooms E of Security shaft E of ICRR S of Duquoin.jpg 4,365 × 2,570; 1.48 MB
- M0057 coalreport 1907.pdf 587 × 966; 74 KB
- M0057 minenotes.pdf 739 × 1,202, 28 pages; 6.75 MB
- M0147 coalreport 1917.pdf 602 × 991; 98 KB
- M0147 minenotes.pdf 739 × 1,202, 24 pages; 6.37 MB
- M1037 minenotes.pdf 1,275 × 1,650, 3 pages; 2.57 MB
- M1037 photo.jpg 2,816 × 2,112; 2.65 MB
- M1042 minenotes.pdf 1,285 × 1,662, 4 pages; 4.07 MB